Winning Pie Recipes from MacQueen Orchards
2010 First Prize Winner:
Grace Thatcher, Delta, Ohio
Make one recipe of your favorite single crust dough.
- 4 lbs. Jonathan Apples, peeled, cored and sliced.
- 3 T butter
- 1 T Lemon Juice
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1 + Cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 t vanilla
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 1/2 + cornstarch
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 5 T all purpose flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Prepare pie crust and bake and set aside.
- Place apples, butter, sugar, salt and lemon juice in a skillet and cook until apples are softened.
- Put apples in collander and drain liquid back into skillet.
- Boil until reduced about 1/2.
- Mix cornstarch into water and mix well then put in skillet w/apple juice and boil 2 min.
- Then add cinnamon and vanilla, remove from heat and add apples and mix well and put into crust.
- Cook in 420 oven for 10 min. then lower to 350 and cook 45 min. until liquid bubbles.
- While cooking prepare streusal by mixing all dry ingredients well. Add softened butter and mix well then add pecans.
- When edges of pie filling bubbles remove pie and cover streusal and place into oven until streusal is golden brown. Cool to room temperature and serve.
Recipe of Grace Thatcher, Delta, Ohio
Check out some our past winning recipes!
This Year's Winning Recipe
2015 Apple Pie Recipe Winner: Tina Lamale's Winning Apple Pie Recipe
2014 Apple Pie Recipe Winner: Amazingly Awesome Apple Cream Cheese Pie
2013 Apple Pie Recipe Winner: Graham Cracker Apple Pie
2012 Apple Pie Recipe Winner: Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie
2011 Apple Pie Recipe Winner: 10" Apple Pie
2010 Apple Pie Recipe Winner: Better Than Classic Apple Pie with Pecan Streusal