- Mix Flour, sugar and salt together in food processor until it is combined. (15 Seconds)
- Scatter chilled shortening over top. ( I added the shortening in 2 batches)
- Process until the mixture looks like cornmeal. (10-15 seconds)
- Scatter chilled butter over top ( add in batches)
- Pulse the mixture until it looks like crumbs.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle 6 tablespoons ice water over mixture.
- Press the dough together using a rubber spatula until the dough starts to stick together.
- Divide the dough into 2 even pieces.
- Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap and flatten.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Before you roll the dough, allow to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Slice apples
- Mix brown sugar, white sugar, lemon juice, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Mix in a bowl, toss apples in mixture.
- Layer 1/2 of apples in bottom of crust.
- Pour 1/2 cup caramel
- Layer remaining apples.
- Pour Remaining caramel.
- Place on preheated cookie sheet on the bottom of the oven.
- Bake on 425 for 25 min
- Reduce heat to 325 and bake for 30 min.
2014 Apple Pie Recipe Winner: Amazingly Awesome Apple Cream Cheese Pie
2013 Apple Pie Recipe Winner: Graham Cracker Apple Pie
2012 Apple Pie Recipe Winner: Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie
2011 Apple Pie Recipe Winner: 10" Apple Pie
2010 Apple Pie Recipe Winner: Better Than Classic Apple Pie with Pecan Streusal